18 January 2012

Snowy Owls

So I had read on the NNYBirds Listserve that Snowy Owls were being seen pretty reliably at Hancock International Airport just north of Syracuse. I stopped by yesterday, but it was raining and everything was covered in snow. Struck out. Today I stopped by and had a look around. That's a funny looking clump of snow....



No, that's a Snowy Owl! I didn't get any better pictures, but with a scope I was able to get a good look at it. So I headed home to grab my daughter, who has an interest in owls. We came back and he had moved. Fortunately, to an easier to see spot on top of the parking garage.



After we had stood and admired as long as we could stand (single-digit windchill kept that time pretty short!) We started to head home. But, I spotted what looked like another on top of a light on the way out.



We were able to divert into a parking lot and get some good looks at this immature one as well. Again, we didn't hang around too long. As we were driving away, this one flew, which was cool to catch a glimpse of.

First lifer of 2012!

1 comment:

LNMP298 said...

Very nice! Congratulations. I saw my "lifer" Snowy Owl just a few years ago.