31 August 2010

The Spectacle Continues



Activity has been frenetic at our hummingbird feeder. I suspect they are fueling up for migration. I shot some pictures this evening through the door onto our deck, so the quality is a little off, but I caught some great action.

Yes, hummingbirds can open their beaks--


The above picture shows off the new perch of dominance. They aren't perching on the hanger as much but instead are sitting on the high side of the feeder "flowers" as their perch to guard the feeder from each other.

I was blessed, and when reviewing pictures I saw that I caught one with it's tongue out as well. They are quite long, which allows them to get nectar from those far-down-in places.



My wife thinks they are looking a little broader as they "bulk up" (seems odd to say of a bird that weighs less than ounce). What do you think? Does her butt look big?



I don't want to leave the impression that any sort of peace has broken out around the feeder, however. Plenty of action abounds as this final shot shows.

No comments: