21 August 2010

Dueling Hummers



We had 5 hummers all eating at our feeder at once for a moment the other morning. A sixth upset the uneasy detente and they were back to their aerial acrobatics again. Often the "dominant" hummer (it seems to rotate) will perch on the hanger on top of the feeder. This is cool, because I have seen them stick their very long tongues out while doing this. (Unfortunately I have not captured it with my camera yet.)

I don't know if they are trying to cool off (like dogs) or if they are taunting each other (that's probably an anthropomorphism). I've also noticed when I have been out there with them, they can fly "noisily" when they want. They seem to do this to try to intimidate each other--brrrrrrrrr--they come whirring in. Other times, they are very quiet, like when one came to check on me last night as I was refilling the feeder. Just hovered about 3' in front of me for a moment to see what I was doing with the feeder.

No comments: