21 April 2005

Challenge

Spent about 2 hours at Heise Pond on Fort Jackson last night searching for Red-cockaded Woodpeckers (no luck) and Odes. It was a beautiful evening out an nice just to be outside.

The Blue Corporals libellula deplanata were again plentiful and have matured enough that males and females both have their distinctive coloring now.

Blue Corporal Male

Blue Corporal Female

I also had some luck on the Damselfly front, getting some good shots of what I believe is a Sandhill Bluet Enallagma davisi.

Sandhill Bluet

Then there were the mysteries. Ones that I just don't have enough experience to nail down for certain (and, in fact, may not be identifiable by my photos.)

Contestant number one is a dragonfly that I think is in the baskettail family Ashy Clubtail Gomphus lividus seems the reasonable choice.--

Mystery Dragon #1

Contestant number two is a damsel, and I am willing to guess is a female Fragile Forktail Ishnura posita.

Mystery Damsel #1

Finally, contestant number three does get points for being the friendliest of the bunch. After I took this picture it flew up and landed on my head. A little later another one landed on my outstretched hand. Unfortunately, I had my right hand out and by the time I was close to figuring out how to take a photo left-handed, it had given up on me and flown. It seems to be an emergent something and is probably not identifiable.

Mystery Damsel #2

On the avian side of things, my bird of the evening was a male Summer Tanager, but it was moving to quickly through too much tree for a picture.

No comments: