08 June 2006

75 Miles West

From Ohio, 75 minutes west into Indiana and a few days around New Castle. For our purposes though, a couple of hours around Memorial Park turned up some interesting sights. One of the first was an Eastern Comma Polygonia comma that caught my attention and then was kind enough to hold still for some pictures.


Common Whitetails Plathemis lydia were in abundance as well. Here is a juvenile male I caught on digits.

I wasn’t the only one in the park looking for bugs, either, or so it seems….

There were several damsels around as well but with a variable wind, they were tough, to say the least. My best bet was what I am relatively confident to call a Powdered Dancer Argia moesta.

A Jade Clubtail Arigomphus submedianus and Eastern Amberwing Perithemis tenera made a nice pare on a partially submerged log.

Finally, a Widow Skimmer Libellula luctuosa rounded out the day by perching for a photo as I was heading back to the van.

No comments: